I kept thinking I would get the row finished, but here it is the last day of the month and no go. So, here is my one little block... where does the time go?? And I am afraid it will get worse before the year is over!!
Just made it in the nick of time this month. Waiting to determine what size I want to make the quilt before sewing the blocks together and appliqueing the birdies. I had fun playing with Deana's great block pattern and fussy cutting a bandana print! ~ Lara B.
Phew. Each month gets busier. I got my Row 3 done yesterday, all except stitching down the fused appliques and I have some star buttons too. and I goofed. I pulled out this lovely FQ for the background, and started creating the blocks --- remembered too late, need a half yard of background. Oh well, it's done now.
and thank you for all those visual pics, Deanna, or I would never have made it thru this row.
of you that have been following me for a while know that I'm not much
into applique'. And Deana really does beautiful applique'. But I just
couldn't tackle it this weekend. So I pulled a bird from Lorna's design for the Elephant Parade, and used it instead...
All in all, I love this row.
I love this row! So sweet! Can't wait for next month's installment. Thanks Deana!
I didn't do the Garden Sue blocks, I replaced them with 'garden paths' blocks... that's not what they're really called but they kind of remind me of a garden path. Anyway... now that I've seen how cute the 'Sues' are I think I'm going to have to do one or two or three...
My version of Row #2... I still have some embroidery stitches to do and some applique. I think I'm procrastinating... actually, I KNOW I'm procrastinating, my stitching and applique leave a lot to be desired :) I DID do the paper piecing, so yay me! LOL
I got my birdhouses all pieced - love them. They went together so easily.
I'm in love with hand applique at the moment, so I'll be doing the birds and door holes that way when I finish appliqueing the birds on my daughter's wedding quilt. I also want to hand stitch some lyrics and notes in there. This one is my favorite:
Although, the Holly Hobby scraps are super fun, too.
All three units are sewn and just need to be put together in a row. I'm working on embellishing the units before I do that. But I think I've met my commitment of getting this much done. Once I had help from Deana figuring out that I missed part of the correction email, everything went together the way it was meant to. Thanks for the extra help Deana.
Well that was a little bit challenging. I'm not sure if I was not concentrating, cut the wrong sizes or just messed up but I had trouble making things fit.,I know it doesn't help when you are changing the width of the rows. I got there in the end.....
I prepared this row over a few days and I will be taking it with me to my NOTY quilt group for a day of hand stitching. Yep all ready to go and I got it finished....
I'm really happy with it.
Now I have to go and add to the houses row to match this width. I have made the quilts for on the line as well.....
I had the hardest time figuring out what I wanted to use for my background on row 2 until my eye glanced across the tub holding some of my hubby's older Air Force uniforms. (I'm pulling all my stuff from stash, except that I did need to buy some red & white stripe fabric). His uniforms are PERFECT for this! And yes, he knows I harvested a BDU shirt for this. :)
Using that necessitated some adjusted construction strategies. First I needed to resolve the issue with poor value difference on the hearts. They just melted into the cammies. So I edged all the pieces with a taupe plaid. Second, that stuff is like sewing with duck cloth canvas almost, so I appliqued the hearts onto whole blocks rather than piecing background around them. I turned the edges under and blanket stitched them on. No need for stabilizer with BDUs as the background.
Now for the fun of bin-diving for bird house scraps! - I really do love that. Not so much the clean-up afterward. . .