CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, July 3, 2015

My Love/Hate Relationship

I have a love/hate relationship with paper piecing. I love the crisp, sharp points and how the blocks are so beautiful when they are all put together. I hate working with the foundation paper being backward to the fabric, how long it takes to make each block (even if I do more than one at a time), how much thread it takes, and how much fabric I feel that I am wasting. But it all averages out when I get the block completed!!!
Here is the first "Fireworks Star" of the Americana Row Quilt

I have been planning to do an Americana for years. I have had fat quarters and dream squares in my stash for probably 10 years and now I am going to use it!!


7 comments:

Kat Scribner said...

Your block is beautiful, only 7 more to go. LOL I actually LOVE paper piecing. It was the first quilty technique I ever learned, and I taught myself from a hardcover book and it was hard to learn from a book and I can over-analyze the written word to death! But when my first block was trimmed, and it was so perfect, I was indeed hooked! Tho these little star blocks have alotta parts.

I also read the instructions for the spring quilt, my my, complicated parts, hat's off to Deanna, the creator, for sure. I am one to get bored if making the same block for a whole quilt. I am positive there will be no opportunity for bored in these two projects!

dq said...

Oh Ann! I just LOVE your little star block and that busy star background fabric makes you feel like the fireworks are still shooting off around the star. It was a perfect and gutsy choice! It is always fun to see an early birder get a block done.

As for paper-piecing, I avoid it at all costs, but some things just can't be done any other way (other then templates of which I have no patience for).

Jo said...

I love this block Anne. I can't wait to get back into my sewing room and get started

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Great block! I have the same love-hate relationship with paper piecing too.

Anonymous said...

It's a beautiful block! I have a hate-hate relationship with paper piecing. I'm going to try one of these, and that's probably all there will be in my quilt. =)

Lynette said...

Your fabrics are so awesome for this block!!! I've got my foundations printed out and copied, but I haven't yet been able to rummage through my scraps bins and stash. Can't wait now, after seeing yours!

Lara B. said...

Woot Woot! Way to go Ann! I too love the bold stars in the background.