CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, August 1, 2015

July has passed us by.

Hello QAL members!

I got the Americana pattern sent out and the Spring still needs the applique' pattern sheet adjusted, scanned, and emailed.  Please be patient.  I will get it out today.

If I have missed someone, please resend a photo of your finished block or link me to the post.  The group size is large enough that it is easy for me to make errors.


My Aunt, Grandpa, and me taken in Hawaii Spring 2014.



I lost my grandpa last night.  He has been here for 91 years and was only a week shy of being 92.  It is amazing to me that there has been so much variety of experiences in his lifetime.  His life began as a child with horse and buggy and the  old Model T Ford just coming out.  He worked in the coal mines, as a shoe/boot repairman, other things, and later for Thiokol which was a government company that helped build the space shuttle.  Horse and buggy to space to modern technology is quite a lifetime of change.  He quit school at age 17 and lied about his age  so he could join the Navy.  His ship, the U.S.S. Enterprise, was in the Pacific during the bombing of Pearl Harbor, but was not in the harbor. Because he was so young when he joined, he is one, if not the very last, of his crewman to leave this earth.  At age 91 he was still pretty spry.  He walked into the temple on his own this past May to attend my daughter's wedding.

I am proud to share his blood in my veins and some of his characteristics and many wonderful memories.   I know, without a doubt, that he has loved ones on the other side welcoming him with open arms.  They are likely having a grand reunion.  While I am not ready to leave this earth,  he, his mother, and my other grandpa will be among the first that I will be anxious to see once I do leave.  I am lucky to still have both of my grandmothers here.

Life is good and I am doing well.  It was important for me to share some of my beliefs regarding death and a life beyond it with a loving God whom I refer to as my Father in Heaven.  I also know that our brother, Jesus Christ, is there too with outstretched arms of love.  Families mean everything to me and they can be together forever.   This I know.

8 comments:

Teatime Creations said...

I am sorry you lost your Grandfather. Losing family is a very hard loss. It is wonderful that you have such special memories. And that you have had him for such a long time.

Take your time and get the next row out when you can. You need to heal and remember. We will be ready when you are.

Marian said...

I'm so sorry your grandfather has passed. I know we'll all understand if you need to take some extra time. Grandparents are very special people, I miss mine daily so I truly understand your loss. Many many hugs..

Kat Scribner said...

I'm sorry you've lost your grandfather. Isn't it easy to be at peace when you know where he is surrounded by the love of God in Heaven. Thanks be to God. and we can thank Jesus for getting us in the door.

AlidaP said...

I'm very sorry for your loss. Thanks for sharing with us his story and your special memories. A big hug!

Jo said...

It is a very hard time for you. So sorry to hear. Take it easy and know everyone is wishing you well.. There is good support here.....
Thanks for taking the time to send this months patterns. I'm sure we wouldn't have minded if they were a little late... Take care

Betty C said...

You have been blessed with such an interesting grandpa.
Hang onto those precious memories.
You will miss him!

Moira said...

What a blessing to have had a Grandpa like you did. May your memories keep him close to you and may God comfort you at this time.

Lara B. said...

It is a very great comfort to know that we will see our loved ones again in heaven! Your grandpa sounds like such an amazing man Deana and it is wonderful how close you were to him. He sure looked a couple decades less than his age. I still miss my grandmothers very much even after decades.