CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Yeah! :) Americana Row 2 finally squared away

I had the hardest time figuring out what I wanted to use for my background on row 2 until my eye glanced across the tub holding some of my hubby's older Air Force uniforms. (I'm pulling all my stuff from stash, except that I did need to buy some red & white stripe fabric). His uniforms are PERFECT for this!  

And yes, he knows I harvested a BDU shirt for this.  :)



Using that necessitated some adjusted construction strategies. First I needed to resolve the issue with poor value difference on the hearts. They just melted into the cammies. So I edged all the pieces with a taupe plaid. Second, that stuff is like sewing with duck cloth canvas almost, so I appliqued the hearts onto whole blocks rather than piecing background around them. I turned the edges under and blanket stitched them on. No need for stabilizer with BDUs as the background.


Now for the fun of bin-diving for bird house scraps! - I really do love that. Not so much the clean-up afterward. . . 

5 comments:

Lynette said...

.(notification)

Ann T. said...

What a clever idea. The BDUs are definitely patriotic. I may have to think on that idea for later.

Vivian said...

I love the background. Good idea. Love the hearts too.

Betty C said...

The camo fabric looks good. That was a good idea.

desertskyquilts said...

Love the camouflage - outlining the pieces in lighter fabric was a great idea - and a lot of work, but worth it.