CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, June 27, 2011

Marie's Optical Illusion Rule 8

This block is quite different from my others.  The 3-d doesn't show up as much as I had hoped--I think because I didn't have enough contrast between my two yellows.  The whole block turned out much different than I thought it would.  I didn't like it when I was finishing it, but when I stood back and looked at it I liked it a lot better.  I found the pattern at piecebynumber.com and it is called "arabesque".  

When I put 4 blocks together and made the center, it was really cool, but since it couldn't be a square block I had to add more to the top and bottom of the block.  (The picture ended up sideways when I posted it.)  It didn't work to put another set of four blocks because it made the block a little too tall and there was no focal point to the block so I had to get creative to finish it to the size it needs to be.  It's a little strange, but it surely would be a beautiful quilt if it was in multiples of 4 blocks.  Maybe I'll try it some time.

I love paper piecing because it is so accurate and neat.  I thought it was a fun rule. 

I was surprised to see how much larger my quilt is when I put it all together.  We're really making progress, and I'm having great fun with this!


5 comments:

Ann T. said...

WOW!!! You have made another masterpiece. It looks so complicated and the 3-D effect is there. I think the whole thing turned out just beautiful. All together, it is really striking!

Betty C said...

very pretty. all of it!!

dorine said...

I really like it! The whole quilt is breathtaking!

dq said...

Wow, your new piece is a real focal point. Good job getting it done in spite of all the busy busy things going on right now.

Stefiko said...

WHOA! This is really different, and really really cool! I like how you fixed the dimensions, it ended up working well for you!