CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Scarecrow 3




Here is block 3. I had to make it to fit above or below the first two blocks. I explained why in my blog, listed on the sidebar.
I guess you could say I stretched the rule by doing the machine embroidery on a check fabric for the background. I normally use a plain fabric for that. I was going to applique a scarecrow with some stained or ragged fabric but I couldn't make it fit on this narrow strip. Stained or ragged fabric is the only thing I could think of that I wouldn't normally use. I normally wouldn't use upholstry fabric in a quilt either!
Here is a picture of the three blocks sewn together.
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Marie said...

Your block is adorable. I love the little scarecrows. They've got to be pretty tiny since the block is so narrow. I've never done machine embroidery like that. It looks fun. Congrats on getting it finished so soon.

Pam in Texas said...

I don't have an embroidery machine either, but you are making it look fun and worthwhile. How long did it take your machine to do those little scarecrows and how many times did you have to change threads? Do you have one of those machines that holds a bunch of spools of thread?

Ann T. said...

Cute, fun little scarecrows. Love them. Congrats on being done with this rule.

dq said...

Your little row of scarecrows is my favorite part so far. Your quilt is fun.

Betty C said...

The little scarecrows are 3.75" tall. They take about 15 minutes each to stitch out. LOL. Make that at least 30 min each by the time you keep changing the threads, dropping the spools on floor, did something tangle again?? Not to mention finding the color of thread you want. ETC. My machine holds ONE spool of thread at a time. I try to tell people to really consider the expense of this hobby before getting into it. The stabilizers you have to use are expensive. The embroidery designs are expensive. I have collected hundreds of freebies though. Most of them are really good quality. My machine is a combination of sewing/embroidery. (A reconditioned and upgraded trade-in)

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness! Betty! Those are just the cutest little scarecrows! and I love that they are on gingham. Love the Betty Boop oopty doop also LOL Love your mystery so far, cant wait to see what Rule 4 brings....