CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, January 28, 2011

47 little hexies in my scrappy stash forest

see that bobbin on the left?  that gives a clue as to how big/small these hexies are.


what a process this was.  WOW, when i read the clue, i was hexies???  i don't do hexies....so, i thought i would perhaps make one yellow one and make it be a sun in some appliqued trees.  then, i decided that that would be shortchanging myself in the concept of this quilt in learning new techniques etc....

so, i thought i could make a column for the left and right sides of the block and then applique some trees--and, i still might do that in another block, but once i got started on this by searching and printing a hexie template on wednesday afternoon and started cutting them out, i just decided to cut the whole sheet of hexies.

i have been trading postage stamps of fabrics for a while, so i have a huge selection.  i pulled out a whole lot of greens and started  cutting a stack of them around the templates and thengluing them down with a washable glue stick--easier for me than the stitching around.....before i knew it i had a huge pile.....so, i started playing with them....the longest process was wetting them and taking the papers out once they were stitched together--

the end result is my block--all hand stitched together and all hand stitched down.  so, then i auditioned it on top of the first block--i think not--it looks too top heavy don't you think?  but, it does show that once a block is on top of it, that the sky above the trees will be a nice spot for a stitched saying, quote, or verse  ;o)



wouldn't it have been nice if i had rotated these before uploading it?



then, on the bottom....MUCH better.   and, it gives a nice balance.  gotta LOVE this concept ladies!  i am so blessed to be involved in this!  and, i can't wait to see what february first is gonna bring for a clue~

9 comments:

Marie said...

I love your trees. Those hexies are mighty small, and they look so nice. It will be fun to watch you continue to build your scrappy forest.

Felicity said...

I am thinking you need to give this quilt to me. I love them. I love those little hexagons.

dorine said...

This is so cute! Can't wait to see what your next forest looks like!!

Ann T. said...

Oh my goodness, Lynne, your little hexies are just breathtaking. What a lot of work, but what a darling block. Fun, Fun, Fun. Can't wait to see the next one!!!

Annmarie said...

LOVE your hexie forest and it goes very well with block 1. can't wait to see what you do with the rest of the challenges.

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

I am glad you went nuts with the hexie's, they look fabulous! I know I am going to put some in one of my blocks sometime during this quilt along, because I am trying to do something different with each block.

dq said...

Oh my goodness your forest just got even better than before and I thought it was great before!!

dq said...

I just keep looking at those hexie trees. They are totally going to make this quilt!! There is no way you could ever regret all that work!

Tracy said...

I love your trees. Wow the work you did with hexagons. Very inspirational. Your scrappy forest is really turning out nicely.