CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, January 28, 2011

Marie's Optical Illusions Block 2

 I decided to do an Optical Illusion theme because I have been interested in optical illusions for a long time and I wanted a challenge.  Well, believe me, this block gave me a challenge.  I had fun with it, but it took a lot of thinking, measuring, planning, etc.  The perfectionist in me told me to do it over because it isn't perfect, but the tired person in me told me that it is o.k. and I chose to listen to the tired person.




You may notice (well, you will now) that my first block has a black border around it.  It wasn't in the first picture I posted.  I want the optical illusions that I build to float on the black background and so I was going to make each block and leave off the border then add it as a sashing between the blocks so that I didn't have so many seams.  It seemed like a good idea until I made the second block, and realized that in some cases this plan wouldn't work; so I'm going to border all of my blocks then sew them together.  I guess the extra seams will serve as a guide when I'm quilting--or something like that.




11 comments:

Ann T. said...

It is beautiful. I am not sure what is not perfect, but I think you were wise not to take it apart. I love the floating look. The black really sets off our illusions. You are definitely giving yourself a challenge.

dq said...

Oh MY GOODNESS Marie, it looks NOTHING like I was guessing from your teaser -- MUCH MUCH BETTER!!

When you first announced your theme I didn't picture this at all. The black will be fabulous -- they will look like they are floating in space.

Did you super60 it?

Marie said...

Yes I did Super 60 it, and it was fun to see how it all worked. I'm going to learn a lot with this quit!

dorine said...

Oh, it is wonderful! Can't wait to see your next block!

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

Wonderful job!

Felicity said...

Both Lyn and I love it... Great job!

Annmarie said...

Your quilt is going to be awesome. Where are you finding your optical illusions? So cool...........

Marie said...

I am getting my inspiration from "Big Book of Building Block Quilts" and Karen Combs "Optical Illusions" along with pictures I find with "Optical Illusion" web searches.

Marie said...

Oops, I forgot to add that Sara Nephew is the author of "Big Book of Building Block Quilts".

dq said...

Lyn told me on the phone today how much she liked your quilt so far. Apparently she told Felicity the same thing, so she must REALLY LIKE IT.

Tracy said...

I really love your blocks. They are very eye appealing and I like looking for the rules in each block.